Document type: Newsletter of the European Reference Centre for Pig Welfare (EURCAW-Pigs)
- Prevent a time-squeeze and explain the benefits of animal welfare
Each newsletter features a personal story of an inspector. Today: Michael (50) from Germany
- National and EU Reference Centres discussed support to Member States on animal welfare issues
The three EU Reference Centres for Animal Welfare (EURCAWs) met for the first time with National Reference Centres (NRCs) and National Supporting Bodies (NSBs) designated by EU governments.
- Overcoming barriers for change in farrowing housing and management
The international workshop Freedom in Farrowing and Lactation 2021 was held in August for sharing knowledge and experiences in order to overcome barriers for change to sow's loose housing in farrowing and lactation.
- Initiative on revision of the EU legislation on animal welfare
The European Commission is preparing a revision of the animal welfare legislation. Citizens and stakeholders are informed about the Commission's plans in order to allow them to provide feedback on the intended revision and to participate effectively in future consultation activities.
- European Commission supports phasing out of cages for farm animals
Last week, the European Commission decided to positively respond to the European Citizens' Initiative "End the Cage Age". In its reply, the Commission sets out plans for a legislative proposal by 2023 to prohibit cages for a number of farm animals.